THIS CONTEST/GIVEAWAY IS CLOSED! Stay tuned for the winners!
A few weeks after I found out I was pregnant, I was going for a morning run and had a little epiphany. During my last pregnancy, I had taken a lot of encouragement and motivation from reading a (no longer available) blog called “Running For Two” at the Runner’s World website. As I jogged down the last stretch of road before turning the corner to my house, I made up my mind that I was going to offer myself to Runners World as a “pregnant running blogger” so I could bring that same encouragement to other women striving to stay active through their pregnancies.
Runner’s World had recently put out a call for women to share their experiences running while pregnant and mothering children, so I thought the climate might be ripe for another pregnant runner blog. As soon as I got in the door from my run, I contacted Runner’s World via email. A week or two later, I got a friendly reply in which I was basically told, “Thanks, but no thanks.” But I wasn’t disappointed for long and soon resolved to document my exploits as a gestating runner right in my own blog.
Then I got scheming about it… thinking I should come up with a clever name for my pregnant running post series. I didn’t want to copy the “Running For Two” name used by Runner’s World, but I couldn’t for the life of me come up with something I liked as well. Then we went on vacation, and my brother and I got busy creating my new website. And then I had another epiphany. What if I asked my readers to put their creative juices to the task? They could probably come up with something far better than what I could! And maybe I could have prizes? Thus… my first contest/giveaway was born.
So how will this work?
This contest/giveaway will run for two weeks, ending on August 14th at noon (Arizona time).
There will be two sets of prizes.
The first set of prizes will go to the person who comes up with the winning name for my series of posts documenting my adventures running and exercising through my pregnancy (something like “Running for Two,” but cooler and better since you’re all creative geniuses). The name doesn’t have to make specific reference to running (though it can). Just be sure it relates to exercising and fitness somehow. I will choose a winner based on, well, whichever one I like best. My husband (an avid runner himself) will probably help me choose. You can enter this contest by submitting a comment on this post with your name idea. Be sure to fill in your email when you comment, so I’ll be able to contact you if you win.
This winner will receive…
1) A copy of the book Exercising Through Your Pregnancy, by James F. Clapp, MD. This book blew me away when I first read it. I couldn’t believe all the powerful benefits women could gain just by exercising through their pregnancies. Some of you might remember the blogpost I wrote sharing some of those benefits. According to Dr. Clapp’s research, women who continued exercising regularly through the end of their pregnancies (three times a week for at least 20 minutes at a moderately hard to hard level of exertion) experienced the following benefits:
* 35% decrease in the need for pain relief
* 75% decrease in the incidence of maternal exhaustion
* 50% decrease in the need to intervene because of abnormalities in the fetal heart rate
* 75% decrease in the need for operative intervention (forceps or cesarean section)
* More than 65% of the exercising women delivered in less than four hours.
* 72% delivered before their due date (but fewer of them delivered preterm than the control group).
* Significant reduction in the incidence of umbilical cord entanglement.
* Much lower incidence of fetus passing meconium from distress.
* Umbilical cord blood samples indicated that babies of exercising moms seemed to tolerate the stresses of labor and delivery better than the control group.
* Placentas of exercising mothers are larger, more efficient, and healthier-looking.
* Infants born to exercising mothers were more alert postpartum and needed less consolation from others.
Dr. Clapp’s book desperately needs an updated cover, but I love it to pieces anyway. And I can’t wait to share it with my contest winner.
2) A $25 discount code to be used toward an online purchase from BornFit, a supplier of maternity and women’s activewear. As my belly grew through my last pregnancy, I kept wishing I had breathable maternity activewear for my runs instead of wearing old baggy t-shirts. If only I had discovered BornFit back then! I’ve already got a wishlist going for my upcoming (30th!) birthday (hint, hint, husband).
3) A Busca-made no-sew stretchy baby wrap. (Color will depend on whatever fabric deals I can find.) If you don’t have a wrap, you absolutely need one. If you already have one, you can keep this one in the car for emergencies or give it away to a friend!
In addition to the post-series-name-contest, I will hold a drawing for a second prize. You can earn entries into this drawing in a number of ways…
2) “Like” BornFit on Facebook.
3) “Like” Birth Faith on Facebook, if you haven’t already done so.
4) “Follow” Birth Faith on Twitter, if you haven’t already done so.
5) Read through some of the posts on my new site. For every post you “share” on Facebook, blog about in a blogpost, or tweet about on Twitter, you’ll earn another entry in the drawing. So, if you share three of my posts on Facebook, that’s three more entries for you. If you share one post on Facebook and blog about another, that’s two entries in the drawing. Make sense?
6) Write a blogpost about this contest/giveaway, share this post on Facebook, and/or tweet about it. If you do all three, that three entries.
7) Post a comment here sharing the benefits you have noticed while staying physically active through your pregnancies.
After you’ve finished “liking” and “sharing” and “tweeting” and whatever else you’re going to do, send me an email (askbusca at gmail dot com) letting me know what you did and how many entries you earned. If you wrote any blogposts, be sure to give me the links so I can check out your blog! On August 14, I will throw everyone’s name entries into a hat. The person whose name I draw will receive…
1) A copy of my favorite birth book, Pushed, by Jennifer Block. I don’t buy many books these days (I make good use of our public library), but Pushed is one I knew I had to own… mainly so I could lend it out to as many women as I could convince to read it. I wish I could get all the women I know to read it. Even better… I wish I could get all the teenage girls I know to read it so they’d know the truth long before they ever began their first pregnancies! In the meantime, I’ll have to content myself with loaning out my copy and giving other copies away. You want one, right?
2) A Busca-made no-sew stretchy baby wrap. Because there’s almost nothing I love sharing more with other mommas than wrap-love.
I can’t wait to read all your creative ideas. Above all, I hope this contest and the series of blogposts that will follow will encourage you to continue exercising and staying active through your pregnancies. I’d love to see more pregnant mommas showing the fitness world what we’re made of. Speaking of… I’m overdue for a run…