When I attended my DONA doula training back in early 2009, many of the attendees mentioned that they were volunteers at “Maggie’s Place.” I’ve been wanting to learn more about Maggie’s Place ever since. And the more I learn about this organization, the more I want to become involved in their mission.
What is Maggie’s Place? From their website:
Maggie’s Place is a community that provides houses of hospitality for expectant women who are alone or on the streets, and wish to achieve their goals in a dignified and welcoming atmosphere. Maggie’s Place provides for the immediate physical and emotional needs of our guests including shelter, food, clothing and a supportive community, and provides a safe environment for them to live in while they develop the skills they need to live independently.
Maggie’s Place is doing something marvelous for mothers and babies in Arizona and Ohio. They didn’t ask me to write this blogpost, in fact they don’t even know I exist. I just want to do whatever I can to help them.
Here are some ways you can support Maggie’s Place in their important mission:
- Make a monetary donation on their website.
- Shop in their online store.
- If you’re in Arizona, donate your gently-used furniture, household articles, clothing, small appliances, etc. to Maggie’s Thrift store. Or head over to their shop and buy some treasures yourself.
- Volunteer through a variety of one-time and ongoing opportunities in Maggie’s Place homes.
- Attend their annual Miracle of Motherhood fundraising event.
- Participate in the Race for Maggie’s Place (9K Signature Run – representing 9 months of pregnancy) this coming October (in Arizona and Ohio). Kids’ races, walks, and raffles also available.
For now, I’m planning to run the race, visit Maggie’s Thrift, and hopefully sign-up to volunteer on an ongoing basis. I’d love to offer myself as a doula for these brave young mothers.
Thank you for all your doing, Maggie’s Place.